An Open Letter to Parents, Guardians, and the Fort Riley Elementary
Fort Riley Families,
We are very excited to welcome all new and returning families to Fort Riley Elementary School! We look forward to welcoming and meeting our new families. For those that are returning, it is hard to believe we haven’t had school in the building since March! All your hard work was appreciated. It was definitely a learning curve for students, staff, and parents. We all learned many lessons that will help us with starting the 20-21 school year! The start dates for this school year are Monday, August 31st for 1st-5th grade students. This will be a half day. No breakfast or lunch will be served. Kindergartners and Early Childhood will start on Thursday, September 3rd . This will be a full day.
This school year will look different than in years past. The staff of Fort Riley Elementary and USD 475 have been working hard making plans for the upcoming school year. Our staff will continue to engage students academically at a high level, while maintaining a safe learning environment. Some of those plans are listed below. Please begin having conversations with your family now so we can be as prepared as possible when August 31 gets here.
- Reassure your students about coming back to school. Let them know that things will be different but remind them how much we care about them and are excited for the start of the school year.
- In accordance with Health Department Guidelines, face masks will be required while at school. The only exceptions will be while students are eating lunch, and while they are engaged in physical activities that may make it difficult to breath with a mask on. Now is the time to start practicing the wearing of masks.
- Students will need a water bottle that is clearly labeled with their name for daily use in the building. Water fountains will be turned off.
- As much as we enjoy having visitors in our building, we will not be able to have open access to our building. Staff will continue to be accessible, just not in person. Please make sure you contact information (phone/email) is current in Skyward.
- School supplies should be labeled with your child’s name since they will not be sharing materials this year.
We look forward to seeing everyone later this month! In the meantime, please reach out if you have any questions. Stay safe and enjoy the last few weeks of summer!